Showing 11 - 18 of 18 results

Where do I apply if I have charges in another province?

Last updated November 24, 2022

You must apply directly to the legal aid plan in the province or territory where the charges are being heard. If your charges are in Ontario, contact us at 416-979-1446 or toll-free at 1-800-668-8258. See below for further information about how LAO will assist in your legal matter, depending on your status as an Ontario resident. Legal Matter Action LAO Will Take…

How do I apply for legal aid?

Last updated August 30, 2022

You can: apply online—currently only available for people who do not own any property and either: receive Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program payments have no income are new to Canada are living in a shelter are incarcerated call us at 1‑800‑668‑8258 Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (The best time to call is…

Where can I speak to a lawyer about my rights?

Last updated March 10, 2020

If you need legal help on the day you are in criminal or family court, you can talk to our lawyers (they are called duty counsel) at the courthouse. If you have been arrested or are detained by police, tell the police officer you want to speak to a lawyer. The police officer will call…

What kind of help can I get if I’m in an abusive relationship?

Last updated March 10, 2020

If you need urgent legal advice about a family issue or an immigration/refugee issue, call us right away or ask someone at a shelter or legal clinic about our two hours of free legal advice. You may also qualify to have a lawyer represent you in court.

Children’s Aid contacted me. Can I get legal aid help?

Last updated March 10, 2020

If you financially qualify, then we can help you if you: want to see your children. want your children at home with you (you should call us as soon as you are contacted by Children’s Aid). are a family member or a member of the child’s Indigenous community and you want the child to stay…

I have a family court matter. Can I get legal aid help?

Last updated March 10, 2020

We might be able to help if you financially qualify and if: you are subjected to domestic abuse you want to separate from your husband, wife or partner you need to decide custody, support or access Children’s Aid has your children or contacted you

Showing 11 - 18 of 18 results