The fastest way to get legal aid help is to call Legal Aid Ontario toll-free at 1‑800‑668‑8258 from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you are in a correctional facility or seeking services such as summary legal advice, please call from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You should always call us before visiting an office. Legal Aid Ontario accepts collect calls.
- Toronto: 416‑979‑1446
Toll free: 1‑800‑668‑8258
Teletypewriter (TTY): 711
LAO uses Bell Relay Service for calls from people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and use a teletypewriter (TTY) or video relay service (VRS).
- Live chat
- Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) has expanded its live chat feature to all client web pages to allow website visitors to send general inquiries to a live agent from Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.
- Provincial head office
- Atrium on Bay
20 Dundas Street West, Suite 730
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2H1
General inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Media inquiries: email@example.com
- How to make a complaint about our services or report suspected fraud or wrongdoing. You do not have to tell us your name. We accept anonymous complaints.
- Client account services
- This Department is responsible for managing Billings and Securities, such as client accounts subject to Contribution Agreements, registered LAO Liens, Court awarded costs and client account refunds. If you wish to receive your refund via EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer / direct deposit) kindly provide Legal Aid Ontario with a copy of a void cheque, or a copy of the direct deposit information from your bank to the attention of the Refund Desk via email ClientAccountServices@lao.on.ca or fax 416-979-8869. Please DO NOT upload the bank information to the client portal.
- Freedom of information requests
- How to make a Freedom of Information request
- Francophone legal advice lines
- If you are a French-speaking client, you can receive free, confidential advice and referrals by telephone.
- Locate a legal office
- Duty counsel offices