How do I apply for legal aid?
If you qualify financially and have a legal issue that we cover, we will help pay for a lawyer to represent you.
You can apply by:
- calling us at 416-979-1446, toll free at 1‑800‑668‑8258 or through Bell Relay service at 1-800-855-0511 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST)
- asking a legal aid worker, if you are in jail or a detention centre
- asking a rights’ advisor or patient advocate, if you are in a hospital
Do I need anything before I apply?
- any documents about your legal case
- proof of your income if you have any. For example, recent pay stubs, social assistance cheque stubs, or employment insurance statements
Do you live outside of Ontario?
If you have a legal issue in Ontario but live outside of the province or country refer to our page on non resident services.
If you qualify financially and have a legal issue that we cover, we will help pay for a lawyer to represent you. Check the table below to see if you qualify financially. You can use the “Find a Lawyer” tool to find a lawyer who accepts legal aid work. If you are…
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to operational changes as a result of COVID‑19, applicants should, where possible, submit eligibility appeals electronically to email@example.com. We will make all efforts to process appeals within the usual timeframe of 30‑45 days, however…