How do I apply for legal aid?
If you qualify financially and have a legal issue that we cover, we will help pay for a lawyer to represent you.
You can apply by:
- calling us at 416-979-1446, toll free at 1‑800‑668‑8258 or through Bell Relay service at 1-800-855-0511 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST)
- asking a legal aid worker, if you are in jail or a detention centre
- asking a rights’ advisor or patient advocate, if you are in a hospital
Do I need anything before I apply?
- any documents about your legal case
- proof of your income if you have any. For example, recent pay stubs, social assistance cheque stubs, or employment insurance statements
Do you live outside of Ontario?
If you have a legal issue in Ontario but live outside of the province or country refer to our page on non resident services.
If you qualify financially and have a legal issue that we cover, we will help pay for a lawyer to represent you. Check the table below to see if you qualify financially. You can use the “Find a Lawyer” tool to find a lawyer who accepts legal aid work. If you are…
Did you apply for legal aid and we told you no? If you do not agree with our decision, you can appeal. What do I do? Step 1: Appeal to the local area committee You have 15 days of getting your notice of cancellation to appeal to the area committee. An area committee is made…