How do I apply for legal aid?
If you qualify financially and have a legal issue that we cover, we will help pay for a lawyer to represent you.
You can apply by:
- calling us at 416-979-1446, toll free at 1‑800‑668‑8258 or through Bell Relay service at 1-800-855-0511 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST)
- asking a legal aid worker, if you are in jail or a detention centre
- asking a rights’ advisor or patient advocate, if you are in a hospital
Do I need anything before I apply?
- any documents about your legal case
- proof of your income if you have any. For example, recent pay stubs, social assistance cheque stubs, or employment insurance statements
Do you live outside of Ontario?
If you have a legal issue in Ontario but live outside of the province or country refer to our page on non resident services.
If you qualify financially and have a legal issue that we cover, we will help pay for a lawyer to represent you. Check the table below to see if you qualify financially. You can use the “Find a Lawyer” tool to find a lawyer who accepts legal aid work. If you are…
If you applied for legal aid and you do not qualify for a lawyer that we will help pay for, you can: Call us at 1‑800‑668‑8258 or visit the Other ways we can help page to learn about other options available to you. Appeal if you do not agree with our decision to…