Contacts for lawyers
First point of contact
The Lawyer Service Centre (LSC) is your first point of contact. It provides the bar with assistance, over the telephone, for:
- Billing/tariff instruction/enquiries
- Account status/outstanding payment status
- Block fee enquiries
- Application status
- Portal amendment request status
- New solicitor assistance
- Deposit slip reconciliation
- Technical support, including password reset
- Escalates to other LAO departments (LSP, Finance, District Office)
Lawyers can contact the LSC toll-free Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 1-866-979-9934 (toll free)
- 416-979-9934 (GTA)
- 416-979-7326 (fax)
Accounts & certificates
Lawyers can send all account and certificate-specific communication to Lawyer Services & Payments (LSP) via electronic document submission on Legal Aid Online.
Please use the forms posted on Legal Aid Online for:
Please fax non-certificate specific correspondence, via iFax, to LSP at 416-979-8562.
How to escalate an issue
If your issue is not being resolved, contact LSP management:
- Darcy DesLauriers, Director, LSP
- James King, Staff Lawyer Manager, Central West / Toronto Region
- Janice N. Vincent, Staff Lawyer Manager, Central East/West/North Region
If you are not satisfied with service, consider the LAO Complaints process.
Brydges duty counsel
Requesting Brydges duty counsel reports
The request must be in writing, on firm letterhead, and should include a return fax number.
The request must include:
- the client’s name
- confirmation that the lawyer represents the client
- a signed authorization, from the client, directing release of the notes to the lawyer and
- acknowledgement of the $45 (+HST) fee for the report (if the request includes the Legal Aid certificate number, there is no charge for Legal Aid clients).
It is helpful if the following is also provided:
- the date, location and time of the arrest
- the charges against the accused and
- the name of telephone duty counsel (if known).
Fax the request to 1-888-963-1035.
Please note that requests take 2 to 3 business days to process.
After the request has been fulfilled, an invoice will be mailed to the lawyer.
If you are an LAO lawyer and need a Brydges duty counsel report for clients who are paying for your services themselves rather than through a certificate, please send your cheque to:
Sykes Assistance Services
(attn: Legal Assistance Division)
248 Pall Mall Street
London, ON N6A 4T4
Questions relating to Duty Counsel Reports can be directed to a Duty Counsel Hotline representative at 1-888-225-6824 (press 1 for English; next press 2 to enter the extension number 75249).
Contact Lawyer Services and Payments for
- recovery letters
- recovery cheques
- lawyer roster management applications
- staff lawyer roster management applications with manager approval
- duty counsel purchase orders
Email Solicitor Accounting and Roster Management Services for
- tier-level increases
- vendor records (address, banking information changes, etc.)
- HST refunds
- government withholdings
- mediation account processing (Milton Mediation Program)
- solicitor electronic fund transfer (bank EFT) rejections
You can also call Solicitor Accounting and Roster Management Services Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm at (416) 979-2352, extension 6487 or 6252.
Fax: (647) 260-0548
Please contact the district office for the geographic catchment areas listed below.
Central East District
– includes the counties of Haliburton, Bracebridge, Peterborough, Coburg, Durham, Kawartha Lakes, Orillia, Newmarket and Barrie
Central West District
– includes the counties of Norfolk, Haldimand, Brant, Hamilton, Niagara, Halton, Peel and Dufferin
– includes the counties of Hastings, Lennox and Addington, Frontenac, Leeds and Grenville, Lanark, Renfrew, Ottawa and Carleton, Prescott and Russell and Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry
– includes the districts of Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay, Cochrane, Algoma, Timiskaming, Parry Sound and Sudbury
– includes East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough and Old Toronto
– includes the counties of Essex, Lambton, Chatham-Kent, Bruce, Grey, Huron, Perth, Oxford, Elgin, Middlesex, Wellington and Waterloo
LAO LAW provides research support to lawyers representing legally aided clients.
- Telephone: 416-979-1321
- Toll-free: 1-800-265-1392
- Fax: 416-979-8946
- E-mail: email@example.com
LAO LAW is available to Ontario lawyers representing clients on legal aid certificates.
If you are unhappy with our services, please contact our Complaints department.
To anonymously report suspected fraud or wrong doing, please contact LAO’s Ethics Hotline at:
- Toll-free: 1-877-312-7753
- Online: Go to the LAO Ethics Hotline and log in with: LAO.AJO