Contacts for lawyers
First point of contact
The Lawyer Service Centre (LSC) is your first point of contact. It provides the bar with assistance, over the telephone, for:
- Billing/tariff instruction/enquiries
- Account status/outstanding payment status
- Block fee enquiries
- Application status
- Portal amendment request status
- New solicitor assistance
- Deposit slip reconciliation
- Technical support, including password reset
- Escalates to other LAO departments (LSP, Finance, District Office)
Lawyers can contact the LSC toll-free Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Accounts & certificates
Lawyers can send all account and certificate-specific communication to Lawyer Services & Payments (LSP) via electronic document submission on Legal Aid Online.
Please use the forms posted on Legal Aid Online for:
Please fax non-certificate specific correspondence, via iFax, to LSP at 416-979-8562.
Contacts to escalate specific issues
|Subject/issue||Who to contact|
|Account enquiries||LSC or in writing through Legal Aid Online|
|Hardcap & Late-billed accounts||LSC, then Regional Payment Specialists for your region|
|Disbursements||For status updates contact LSC
For urgent matters contact Regional Lawyer Manager
|Accounts over $20,000||Regional Lawyer Manager|
|Costs and settlements||Regional Lawyer Manager|
|Reviews||For status updates contact LSC
For other questions contact LSC in writing through Legal Aid Online
|Expedite requests||LSC, then Regional administrator|
|Other issues||Director, Regional Lawyer Manager|
How to escalate an issue
- If your issue is not being resolved, contact LSP management:
- If you are not satisfied with service, consider the LAO Complaints process.
Brydges duty counsel
Requesting Brydges duty counsel reports
The request must be in writing, on firm letterhead, and should include a return fax number.
The request must include:
- the client’s name
- confirmation that the lawyer represents the client
- a signed authorization, from the client, directing release of the notes to the lawyer and
- acknowledgement of the $45 (+HST) fee for the report (if the request includes the Legal Aid certificate number, there is no charge for Legal Aid clients).
It is helpful if the following is also provided:
- the date, location and time of the arrest
- the charges against the accused and
- the name of telephone duty counsel (if known).
Fax the request to 1-888-963-1035.
Please note that requests take 2 to 3 business days to process.
After the request has been fulfilled, an invoice will be mailed to the lawyer.
If you are an LAO lawyer and need a Brydges duty counsel report for clients who are paying for your services themselves rather than through a certificate, please send your cheque to:
Sykes Assistance Services
(attn: Legal Assistance Division)
248 Pall Mall Street
London, ON N6A 4T4
Questions relating to Duty Counsel Reports can be directed to a Duty Counsel Hotline representative at 1-888-225-6824 (press 1 for English; next press 2 to enter the extension number 75249).
- recovery letters
- recovery cheques
- lawyer empanelment applications
- staff lawyer empanelment applications with manager approval
- duty counsel purchase orders
- tier-level increases
- vendor records (address, banking information changes, etc.)
- HST refunds
- government withholdings
- mediation account processing (Milton Mediation Program)
- solicitor electronic fund transfer (bank EFT) rejections
You can also call Solicitor Accounting and Empanelment Services Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm at (416) 979-2352, extension 6487 or 6252.
Fax: (647) 260-0548
Please contact the district office for the geographic catchment areas listed below.
West and Central West districts
- West district office
Includes: Windsor, Chatham, Sarnia, London, Goderich, Owen Sound, Walkerton, Woodstock, St. Thomas, Guelph/Wellington, Kitchener/Waterloo
- Central West district office
Includes: Hamilton, Oakville, Hagersville, Brantford, Simcoe, St. Catharines, Welland, Brampton/Peel, Orangeville/Dufferin County
- Toronto district office
Includes: Toronto, North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke
Central East, East and North districts
- North district office
Includes: Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay, Kirkland Lake, Kenora, Fort Frances, Thunder Bay, Sioux Lookout, Parry Sound Area
- Central East district office
Includes: Barrie, Cobourg, Oshawa, Peterborough, Lindsay, Newmarket/York Region
- East district office
Includes: Ottawa, Napanee, Belleville, Kingston, Perth, Brockville, Hawkesbury, Pembroke, Cornwall
LAO LAW provides research support to lawyers representing legally aided clients.
LAO LAW is available to Ontario lawyers representing clients on legal aid certificates.
If you are unhappy with our services, please contact our Complaints department.
To anonymously report suspected fraud or wrong doing, please contact LAO’s Ethics Hotline at: