Contacts for lawyers
- Lawyer Service Centre (LSC)
- Lawyer Services & Payments (LSP)
- Client Account Services (CAS)
- Lawyer Accounting and Authorization Services
- Legal Aid District Offices
- LAO LAW
- Complaints Department
- Ethics Hotline
- Audit and Compliance Unit (ACU)
- Requesting a report of after-hours duty counsel services (Brydges)
Lawyer Service Centre (LSC)
The LSC answers incoming calls from lawyers and their staff related to the online billing system, billing and tariff rules, account payment status, certificate coverage, and technical support.
Monday to Friday
8 am to 5 pm
LSC provides assistance with the following:
- Legal Aid Services Rules
- Roster membership
- Website navigation
- Creating and submitting accounts
- Status of account and outstanding payments
- Tariff questions
- Block fees
- Direct deposit inquiries
- Reporting account errors
Legal Aid Online
- Technical support
- Portal navigation
- Password reset
Certificate program status
- Client or lawyer assisted applications
- Authorization and amendment requests
Lawyer Services and Payments Department (LSP)
The LSP department pays lawyers efficiently and accurately for services provided to LAO clients, processes requests for experts and other special disbursements, conducts reviews of disputed payments, manages the annual billing limits (hard caps) and is responsible for the collection of costs orders and the recovery of settlement funds pursuant to LAO’s statutory charge.
LSP is also responsible for:
- Settling accounts that are not paid automatically by Legal Aid Online in accordance with LASA 2020 andthe Legal Aid Services Act Rules
- Making discretionary payment decisions based on requests received from roster members
- Managing late billed accounts
- Making decisions with respect to overpayments and related recoveries
Lawyers should send all account and certificate specific communications to LSP via electronic document submission on Legal Aid Online.
- Discretionary increases
- Disbursements requests
- Payment expedite requests
- Requests for review of settled accounts
- Requests to waive the collection of settlement funds or costs
- Requests to correct account billing errors
Client Account Services
Client Account Services responds to lawyer enquiries regarding payout matters of Contribution Agreements subject to liens, monthly payments, lump sums payments, Assignments and Directions, financial hardship claims (postponement requests), cost awards and refunds.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 416-979-1446 ext. 3337
- Toll-free: 1-800-668-8258 ext. 3337
- Fax: 416-979-8869
Lawyer Accounting and Authorization Services
The Lawyer Accounting and Authorization Services forms part of the Finance Department.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- GTA: 416-979-2352 ext. 6487 or 6252
- Toll-free: 1-877-573-8033 ext. 6487 or 6252
- Fax: 647-260-0548
They provide assistance with the following:
- Tier-level increases
- Lawyer changes of address, banking information, etc.
- HST refunds
- Government garnishments
- Lawyer electronic fund transfer (EFT) rejections
- Duty counsel purchase order number
Legal Aid District Offices
Please contact the district office for the geographic catchment areas listed below for general enquiries relating to Lawyer Roster and Duty Counsel Roster.
- Counties of Haliburton, Bracebridge, Peterborough, Coburg, Durham, Kawartha Lakes, Orillia, Newmarket and Barrie. Email: email@example.com
- Counties of Norfolk, Haldimand, Brant, Hamilton, Niagara, Halton, Peel and Dufferin. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ottawa, Perth, Brockville, Hawkesbury, Pembroke, Cornwall. Email: email@example.com
- Kingston, Belleville, Napanee. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, Parry Sound, Timmins, North Bay, Kirkland Lake. Email: email@example.com
- Thunder Bay, Fort Francis, Rainy River, Alberton, Atikokan, Chapple, Dawson, Emo, La Vallee, Lake of the Woods, Morley, Kenora. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- East York, North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough and Old Toronto. Email: email@example.com
- Windsor, Chatham, Sarnia, Guelph, Kitchener. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- London, Owen Sound, Walkerton, Stratford, Goderich, St. Thomas, Woodstock. Email: email@example.com
LAO LAW provides research support to Ontario lawyers representing legally aided clients.
Contact LAO LAW directly to reset a password.
If you are unhappy with our services or would like more information about our complaint process, please contact our Complaints Department.
Click here to anonymously report suspected fraud or wrongdoing.
Audit and Compliance Department
The ACU supports the organization with identifying billing errors and recovering overpaid funds through the certificate program.
- Telephone: 416-979-2352 extension 6530
- Toll-free: 1-800-668-8258
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 416-979-0284
For more information relating to the audit process, click here.
Requesting a report of after-hours duty counsel services (Brydges)
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 1-888-963-1035
How to request a report?
Requests are made in writing by email or fax on firm letterhead with a fax number and must include:
- The client’s name
- Confirmation that the lawyer represents the client
- A signed authorization from the client directing release of the notes to the lawyer
- Acknowledgement of the $45 (+HST) fee for the report (if the request includes the client’s Legal Aid certificate number there is no charge for the report).
If available, include the following in the request:
- The date, location and time of arrest
- The charges against the accused
- The name of the telephone duty counsel
Requests can take 2 to 3 business days to process. After the request has been fulfilled, an invoice will be mailed to the lawyer.
Where to send the payment?
Sykes Assistance Services
Attn: Legal Assistance Division
248 Pall Mall Street
London, ON N6A 4T4
If you have questions about Duty Counsel Reports, you can speak with a Duty Counsel Hotline representative at 1-888-225-6824 extension 75249.