Where can I speak to a lawyer about my rights?

If you need legal help on the day you are in criminal or family court, you can talk to our lawyers (they are called duty counsel) at the courthouse.

If you have been arrested or are detained by police, tell the police officer you want to speak to a lawyer. The police officer will call a lawyer that you can speak to over the phone.

If you have a family issue and you qualify, you can talk to a family lawyer over the phone for 20 minutes. Call us at 1-800-668-8258 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you have qualified for a legal aid certificate, then you can find a lawyer to accept your case and then speak to that lawyer directly.

You can also find a lawyer on your own by using the Law Society Referral Service by visiting their website or calling 1-855-947-5255.