Showing 1 - 10 of 56 results

Judicial review

Last updated October 14, 2022

What is a judicial review? A judicial review takes another look at a decision or order made by an administrative body. This review helps make sure the administrative body has been fair, reasonable, and lawful. If the review shows that the administrative body was unfair, unreasonable, or unlawful, a higher court can cancel a lower…

What help is available for parole hearings?

Last updated October 3, 2022

We will provide you with a legal aid certificate if you meet: All the following factors: Your parole hearing will take place at least six months after the day you apply If you serve a life sentence or have a dangerous offender designation or long-term supervision order, you can apply up to a year before…

Can I re-apply for legal aid for the same matter?

Last updated September 19, 2022

You can re-apply for legal aid for the same matter if six months have passed since your original application was denied based on financial reasons, and there has been a change in your financial circumstances (e.g., job loss). Call us at 1-800-668-8258 (toll-free) or 416-979-1446 (local Toronto) to speak to a representative about your situation.

What help is available for Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) charges?

Last updated September 16, 2022

You may be eligible for a legal aid certificate for the charges laid against you under the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) if you qualify financially and there is a risk to your liberty. Risk to liberty is determined based on the seriousness of the charges, the case circumstances, and if there is a criminal…

When is a certificate not issued for criminal appeals?

Last updated September 14, 2022

If you are making a criminal appeal, your case is NOT eligible for a certificate if you: Received a suspended sentence with probation Are appealing a non-custodial sentence (i.e. there is no jail time required) Received a conditional sentence with terms (such as house arrest) Finished serving a sentence or will complete a sentence within 30…

What help is available for a criminal appeal?

Last updated September 14, 2022

If you do not agree with the judge’s decision in your criminal case, you can ask the Provincial/Territorial Courts of Appeal or the Federal Court of Appeal to review your case. If the appeal court allows the appeal, it can reverse or change the judge’s decision, or order a new trial or hearing. If you…

What do I do after I get my disclosure package?

Last updated September 6, 2022

After you get your disclosure package, you can review it with a lawyer or duty counsel to find out your options and get legal advice. If your court date is within five business days, please contact duty counsel in the court location where your matter is being heard for next steps. If your court date…

Showing 1 - 10 of 56 results