When is a certificate not issued for criminal appeals?

If you are making a criminal appeal, your case is NOT eligible for a certificate if you:

  • Received a suspended sentence with probation
  • Are appealing a non-custodial sentence (i.e. there is no jail time required)
  • Received a conditional sentence with terms (such as house arrest)
  • Finished serving a sentence or will complete a sentence within 30 days
  • Do not qualify financially
  • Refuse to sign a contribution agreement, if applicable. (A contribution agreement is an agreement between you and LAO in which you agree to pay back LAO some money based on your income.)