Showing 1 - 10 of 16 results

Can I re-apply for legal aid for the same matter?

Last updated September 19, 2022

You can re-apply for legal aid for the same matter if six months have passed since your original application was denied based on financial reasons, and there has been a change in your financial circumstances (e.g., job loss). Call us at 1-800-668-8258 (toll-free) or 416-979-1446 (local Toronto) to speak to a representative about your situation.

What is a consent and declaration form?

Last updated June 8, 2022

Consent and declaration forms are signed by you, the applicant, to create an agreement about how you will work with LAO. For example, by signing the form, you are giving LAO permission to: Look at your financial information to make sure you are eligible to receive our services Get information about your legal proceedings Share…

How do I let Legal Aid know who my lawyer is?

Last updated July 13, 2020

If, when you apply, you have a lawyer you want to work with (and they do legal aid work), you can tell us when you apply for a certificate. If you choose a lawyer after you’ve received your certificate, you can call us to let us know who it is or you can give your…

I have been refused legal aid. What can I do?

Last updated October 18, 2021

You can request a review if your legal aid application was refused. You have 22 business days from the date on your notice of refusal or cancellation. If you are in jail or hospitalized, you have 52 business days to request a review. Learn more about the appeal eligibility review process.

What can I do if I do not qualify for legal aid?

Last updated July 8, 2021

You can represent yourself or hire your own lawyer. Even if you decide to represent yourself, it’s good to consult a lawyer for some guidance and advice. LAO’s lawyer search tool or the Law Society Referral Service can help you find a qualified family lawyer. These online resources can also help you navigate the family law system: Ontario Court of Justice guide: Representing yourself at…

Where do I send my documents to complete my legal aid application?

Last updated May 17, 2021

You can upload your documents to the client portal or send your documents by fax to 1‑877‑750‑2009 or mail to: Legal Aid Ontario 40 Dundas Street West, Suite 200 Toronto, ON, M5G 2H1 Include your client number on each page.

Where do I apply if I have charges in another province?

Last updated March 10, 2020

You must apply directly to the legal aid plan in the province or territory where the charges are being heard. If your charges are in Ontario, contact us at 416-979-1446 or toll-free at 1-800-668-8258.

How do I apply for legal aid?

Last updated August 30, 2022

You can: apply online—currently only available for people who do not own any property and either: receive Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program payments have no income are new to Canada are living in a shelter are incarcerated call us at 1‑800‑668‑8258 Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (The best time to call is…

Showing 1 - 10 of 16 results