Has Children’s Aid contacted you or taken your kids?

Important notice:
Some of our services have temporarily changed due to the COVID‑19 crisis. The information provided on this page may no longer be accurate. Please visit our COVID‑19 client page to learn how this may impact you.

Talk to a lawyer immediately. Do not sign anything.

If you qualify, then we can help you if you:

  • want to see your children.
  • want your children at home with you.
  • are a family member or a member of the child’s Indigenous community and you want the child to stay with you.
  • want to see and talk with your child even though they have been placed for adoption.

Sometimes, you can work with Children’s Aid without going to court. You may qualify for a lawyer to help you with:

  • voluntary agreement. This means you work with Children’s Aid to help you care for your child. For example, you could get counselling or tested for drugs. You can get help for an addiction or let Children’s Aid visit your home.
  • customary care agreement. This is when someone (not the mother or father) cares for a First Nations, Métis or Inuit child in a way that they can stay connected to their band or culture.
  • temporary care agreement. This is when Children’s Aid agrees to take care of your child for a short time because you cannot, and you do not have friends or family who can. For example, you might have to leave the country suddenly or need medical care.
  • participating in a traditional First Nations, Métis or Inuit talking circle.

Getting help in court

If you qualify for legal aid, you may be eligible for a family lawyer who can represent you in court. Your legal aid lawyer can help with:

  • preparing court documents
  • bringing forward motions
  • participating in settlement negotiations
  • conducting an in-depth file review
  • assisting a “third party caregiver” (e.g., family member or close family friend) in gaining permission to keep the child in their care
  • negotiating a resolution of your case outside of the courts.

How do I apply for legal aid?