Finding the right legal aid lawyer
How do I find a lawyer who does legal aid work?
You can use our Find a Lawyer tool to help you find a lawyer in your area who does legal aid work in the type of law that you need help with. To use the tool, you must have a certificate to work with a lawyer who does legal aid work. If you do not have a certificate, you must first apply for legal aid.
- You can use filters to choose the type of legal help you are looking for and the language you prefer to speak.
- If you enter your postal code, you can see which lawyers work closest to you.
- You will be given the lawyers’ address and phone number, so you can contact them directly.
How do I decide which lawyer to use?
Make sure that the lawyer you choose is right for you. We rarely allow you to change your lawyer once you hire one.
Here are some questions to ask the lawyer:
- What area of law do you specialize in?
- How much experience do you have with my type of case?
- What are my legal options?
- Will someone else in your office work with you on my case?
- Where is your office?
- How can I contact you?
Remember: We will pay your lawyer directly. You do not have to pay them.