Immigration and refugee lawyer
Community legal services of Ottawa
Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa is a community legal clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide legal services for the low-income residents of Ottawa, as well as community development, law reform and legal education.
We are seeking an immigration and refugee lawyer for a 12-month contract to perform the tasks outlined below
- provides legal advice and services to clients and staff members of partner agencies serving similar populations on a wide range of immigration and refugee law issues including:
- sponsorship applications
- family reunification applications
- applications for permanent residence based on H&C grounds
- matters before all divisions of the Immigration and Refugee Board
- temporary resident permits
- applications for judicial review
- mandamus applications
- deferral of removal requests
- motions for stays of removal
- provides all of the services required to assist clients on cases including: interviewing clients; advising clients and explaining options on appropriate courses of action; taking client instructions appropriately; developing arguments; preparing all documents and oral and written submissions; preparing for and carrying out negotiations on clients’ behalf; preparing clients for hearings; and all other legal work required to professionally represent clients in courts and tribunals
- prioritizes caseload to ensure clients are adequately represented
- represents clients on appeals and judicial reviews
- prepares appropriate file records, as the Legal Clinic requires
- maintains knowledge of poverty law and administrative law in order to act as counsel to clients in courts and tribunals
COMMUNITY EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT
- provides community development activities, public legal education workshops and materials, law reform activities and legal support to group clients by:
- participating in community development programs
- producing materials for community legal education
- participating in various community organizations and inter-clinic study groups
- preparing legal briefs and other law reform activities
- preparing educational seminars designed for the client community and for agencies serving similar populations
SUPERVISION AND STAFF TRAINING
- participates in case consultations
- trains and supervises students and volunteers
- participates in training seminars or courses, both internal and external
- attends staff meetings and Board meetings as needed
- provides reports as requested
- assists in developing clinic priorities and projects
- uses and monitors clinic tickler system
OTHER DUTIES AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- being familiar with and complying with all Legal Clinic policies
- performing other job functions as may be assigned from time to time, consistent with the activities of this position
- the work involves deadlines and unpredictable priority changes causing time pressures on a daily basis. The work pace also cannot be controlled or predicted and frequently involves interruptions during the workday. Extended work hours resulting from deadlines and other work pressures may be required, including some evening and weekend work. The work also involves exposure to emotionally charged situations, including providing assistance to vulnerable clients facing legal crises.
Being fluently bilingual and familiar with the clinic system will be considered an asset.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 17 at 5:00 P.M.
This is a contract position. The salary range is $60,000 – $64,700. The anticipated start date is January 8, 2024.
Please send a cover letter and resumé by email to Clarisse Titus at firstname.lastname@example.org Community Legal Services of Ottawa
406-1355 Bank St.
We welcome applications from members of racialized communities, people with disabilities and other historically disadvantaged groups. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request and all information will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants but we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.