Complex Case Rate
The Complex Case Rate (CCR) offers lawyers authorized to provide criminal legal aid services an enhanced rate of compensation for work on complex criminal cases, helping to retain high-quality representation for clients and improving access to justice.
For a case to receive CCR funding, the following three‑part test must be authorized to provide CCR legal aid services:
- the lawyer must be authorized to provide CCR legal aid services
- the case must have been accepted into Big Case Management (BCM) with a properly submitted Opinion Form (Hearing or Trial) and have an approved budget
- the case must meet the CCR Case Eligibility Criteria
Complex Case Rate authorization
Authorization to provide legal aid services on the Extremely Serious Matters (ESM) and criminal law services are prerequisites for eligibility to provide Complex Case Rate services.
Applicants will be assessed on the totality of the information provided and gathered by LAO, with particular attention to the Criteria for Evaluating Candidates:
- professional experience
- relationship with LAO
- complete the Complex Case Rate Application
- execute the Release of Information form for Law Society of Ontario and/or other law societies and the Release of Information form for Lawyers’ Professional Indemnity Company(LawPRO) in favour of Legal Aid Ontario
- provide three references
Note that only completed applications will be considered. CCR applications and other materials should be faxed to Legal Aid Ontario at 416‑204‑4710.
Authorization to provide CCR services does not entitle a lawyer to CCR funding on regular criminal certificates or other BCM cases.
Complex Case Rate case eligibility
Which cases are eligible?
For a case to be considered eligible for CCR funding:
- a lawyer must be authorized to provide CCR services
- the case must have been accepted into Big Case Management with a properly submitted Opinion Form (Hearing or Trial)
- the case must have an approved budget
How to apply for the CCR rate:
- CCR lawyers must have completed the Complex Case Rate Case Eligibility Application. Only completed applications will be considered
- The CCR case eligibility material should be faxed to Legal Aid Ontario at 416‑204‑4710.
- If the case is first or second degree murder it is deemed eligible, and the CCR service provider is not required to fill out the CCR case eligibility Form.
The case will be assessed on the Case Eligibility Criteria.
For more information, contact BCM coordinator at 416‑979‑2352, ext. 6459.
CCR Rate Schedule
|Effective||On or after April 1, 2015|
|Enhanced Rate for Complex Cases||
Complex Case Rate (CCR) case eligibility Which cases are eligible? All 1st and 2nd degree murders are considered eligible for CCR funding as long as the following conditions are met: The certificate must have been issued on or after Feb. 1, 2010. The lawyer must be lawyers authorized to provide CCR legal aid services. The case must…
Criteria for evaluating cases Big Case budget Duration of the proceeding Length and nature of police investigation Complexity of the Crown’s case Personal characteristics of client Impact on client, including severity of the offence and consequences to the accused Novel, unusual or otherwise challenging legal, factual or public interest issues Multiple charges or accused Demonstrated…