Tenant legal issues
Important changes are being made to government programs such as employment insurance (EI) and housing rights. Information is changing daily, please check often.
If you have a problem with your landlord, you may qualify for free legal help.
Some reasons you may need legal help:
- the home or the building where you live has pests
- your home does not have basic services like heat or electricity
- Your landlord wants to:
- raise your rent in fewer than 90 days
- raise your rent by more than what the law allows
- ask you to pay for something you do not think you should have to pay for
- evict you
How to get help
You can also speak with a lawyer at a Landlord and Tenant Board office. They are called duty counsel. You do not need an appointment but it is first come, first served. Priority is given to people facing an eviction hearing.
Were you denied Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support? Need help with income supports such as pension? Being evicted?