Domestic Violence Strategy closed
LAO has committed to developing a multi-year, multi-faceted, province-wide domestic violence strategy that will build upon the services and supports that LAO already has in place.
The strategy will enable LAO to:
- better identify and prioritize the complex intersecting needs of clients experiencing domestic violence and ensure they can access a range of both legal and social services
- expand access to legal services
- develop policies, protocols and processes to reflect a better understanding of how domestic violence impacts a client’s experience in the legal system
- provide more supports to service providers
- create a sustainable plan to ensure LAO staff are knowledgeable and educated on domestic violence and how it impacts clients, and provide up-to-date resources to assist in their work.
A consultation paper was written after several months of preliminary meetings and engagement sessions with a wide array of justice and social service partners, including experts from the Violence against Women community (both advocacy organizations and service providers), lawyers, community service providers, legal clinics, peer networks, professional associations, government agencies and LAO staff.
The paper provides a starting point for discussions at consultation sessions set to happen across the province throughout the summer and fall.
In February 2015, the LAO Board of Directors requested the development of a Domestic Violence Strategy for the organization. A discussion paper “Development of a Domestic Violence Strategy” was released publically by LAO in July 2015. The purpose of this consultation paper was to engage with community partners, including survivors, service providers, lawyers, legal clinics, advocacy organizations, professional associations, government agencies and any interested stakeholders to receive feedback and input on creating a strategy and on shaping the future delivery of LAO’s services and programs for domestic violence survivors. From September 2015 to January 2016, consultations were held across the province. A summary of these consultations can be found via the link below:
- Summary of feedback received at LAO’s consultations on the development of a Domestic Violence Strategy
– May 16, 2016
Starts: September 1, 2015 at 12:00am
Ends: January 1, 2016 at 12:00am
416-979-2352 ext. 4150