COVID-19: Beginning March 24, you can speak to duty counsel over the phone about your criminal matter without having to qualify.
Are you between 12 and 17? Have the police charged you with a crime? You, your parents or your legal guardian can call us. If you qualify, we will help pay for a lawyer to represent you.
If you are in court and you do not have a lawyer, talk to the lawyer at the courthouse (they are called duty counsel) for help. Duty counsel can:
- give you advice and information
- tell you about your rights and what you have to do
- tell you how the court process works
- in some cases, help you with your documents
- in some cases, be your lawyer for that day
Charged with a crime that could send you to jail? Going to court without a lawyer? Charged under the Youth Criminal Justice Act?