Full-time Contract Position – On site
Justice for Children and Youth works to protect and advance the legal rights and dignity of children and youth. We are a specialty legal clinic funded primarily by Legal Aid Ontario, and one of the only organizations in Canada focused exclusively on the legal practice of child and youth rights across a range of legal subjects.
JFCY is looking for a Legal Assistant to fill a full-time position; initially a 1 -year term, with extension dependent on funding. The successful candidate will be responsible for client intakes, reception coverage and litigation support along with providing client and office support. The Legal Assistant will also assist with other internal and external projects and systemic change initiatives as applicable.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to work well in a team environment with a commitment to anti-oppression and social justice issues and values, and a commitment to the protection and advancement of child and youth rights.
- legal administrative background, coupled with relevant experience, knowledge and skills will also be considered
- Committed to and knowledgeable about social justice and anti-oppression and the rights of children and youth
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn new software quickly
- Interest in areas of law practised by the clinic
- Strong written and oral communication, organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multi-task
- Experience with youth outside law
- Experience working for a community based organization
- Ability to communicate in a language other than English
Salary Range: dependent on qualifications and experience:
$48,000 – $55,000 per year, plus benefits.
JFCY believes in giving each and every applicant an equal opportunity to succeed on their own merit and we strive to hire staff that reflect and support the diverse perspectives,
experiences and needs of our clients and our communities. We remain committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our work environment. We know that diversity underpins excellence, and that we all share responsibility for creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive organization. Therefore, in pursuit of our values, we seek employees who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across the organizational hierarchy in actualizing the Clinics’ priorities, goals and principles.
We are strongly committed to diversity and employment equity and we actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
- persons who identify as women; and
- persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
Applications, including a cover letter and an up-to-date resume, must be submitted to Lisa Salenga, Finance and Human Resources Assistant at Justice for Children and Youth by email only at email@example.com by 12:00 pm noon, Friday July 28, 2023.
No phone calls please, only candidates selected for an interview will be notified.