Lawyer Position: Social Justice Opportunity
Community Advocacy & Legal Centre
Are you a lawyer looking for meaningful employment, interested in community lawyering approaches, and committed to social justice and service innovation? We invite you to apply and to consider joining our dynamic and progressive legal team. We are a busy and creative community legal clinic serving three counties and the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory in rural central/south-eastern Ontario. The successful candidate will provide poverty law services with a focus on housing law and income security.
If you have the following experience and competencies, please consider applying:
- Experience in one or more areas of law impacting people living on a low income and vulnerable communities, particularly tenant rights, and income security issues
- Commitment to trauma-informed and culturally sensitive approaches to legal work
- Demonstrated ability to work with people living on a low income and in rural communities
- Understanding of significant legal and other issues impacting on these communities
- Working collaboratively and across disciplines with partners in the justice, health, social service, government, and/or community sectors
- Demonstrated high achievement in prior employment with excellent analytical, creative, evaluative,and strategic thinking skills as well as strong time and project management skills
- High degree of computer literacy and administrative self-sufficiency
- Evident commitment to social justice issues
- Proven ability to interact with high need clients in an empathetic manner
- Litigation and tribunal experience
We are looking for a lawyer with between three to five years experience (preferred). We offer a fixed term contract, with the possibility of permanent employment. The salary range is under review, but is currently $82,000 – $92,000. If you are interested, please forward your resume, a letter explaining your interest in the position, and supply three professional references not later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 26, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and only those being offered an interview will be contacted.
COMMUNITY ADVOCACY & LEGAL CENTRE
158 George Street, Level 1
Belleville, Ontario K8N 3H2
We are an equal opportunity employer striving to reflect the population living in Ontario.