Community Legal Clinic of York Region (CLCYR)
The Community Legal Clinic of York Region (CLCYR) is a legal clinic serving the legal needs of low income residents of York Region. CLCYR staff provide legal advice and representation, deliver public legal education, and participate in community development and law reform initiatives.
CLCYR is seeking an experienced paralegal for a four month contract, to provide services in the income maintenance team. The proposed start date for this position is December 6, 2021 to, March 31, 2022. The compensation for this position is $66,000 on an annual basis.
- The Paralegal will provide the following services to our clients;
- The Paralegal will be expected to work out of our main office in Richmond Hill, Satellite clinics in York Region or from home as circumstances require;
- The Paralegal will provide summary advice and/or representation and brief services to clients in the areas of Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program benefits, Canada Pension Plan Matters, Old Age Security Matters and Child Tax Benefits issues.
- The Paralegal will engage in community development activities, deliver Public Legal Education workshops and participate in law reform initiatives as appropriate;
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- 3 or more years’ experience working in a poverty law organization, is an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge of social justice and understanding of issues of significance to low-income communities;
- Experience representing clients at the Social Benefits Tribunal and/or the Social Security Tribunal will be an asset;
- Experience leading or contributing to a law reform or community development initiative;
- Understanding of anti-racism and social justice and how to apply this understanding in the practice of law;
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills;
- Leadership or mentorship experience;
- Legal Clinic experience is an asset;
- Ability to provide legal services to Franco-Ontarians is an asset;
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset;
- Must be vaccinated for Covid-19
November 26, 2021.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for two references by electronic mail to:
21 Dunlop Street, Suite 200
Richmond Hill, ON
CLCYR is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from individuals from diverse, marginalized and racialized communities and backgrounds. Moreover, CLCYR welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.