Legal Content Developer
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario)
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario) is seeking a Legal Content Developer with legal practice experience, strong skills in clear writing and online communication, and experience in working with communities that are socially disadvantaged. This is a full‐time position.
The Legal Content Developer develops and coordinates legal information content for CLEO’s Steps to Justice website and other CLEO materials. Steps to Justice (www.stepstojustice.ca) is CLEO’s premier website providing legal information to people in Ontario.
Job responsibilities include:
- Developing a range of legal content intended for use by people with low incomes and other social disadvantages, applying legal knowledge and expertise
- Writing, editing, and updating legal information in a variety of formats (primarily online, but also print, audio, video, and social media) on a range of legal topics
- Identifying, developing, and integrating interactive tools for use in the content
- Coordinating external legal review and clear language editing of legal information content, ensuring legal accuracy
- Coordinating freelance service providers as required, including writers, translators, editors, proofreaders, and designers
- Undertaking background research to monitor communities’ changing legal information needs and strategies for meeting those needs
- Networking with community legal clinics, community organizations, and other on‐the‐ground service providers to identify legal information needs
- Working collaboratively with CLEO staff on legal information projects
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor of Laws / Juris Doctor from a Canadian province
- Three to five years’ experience practising law in Ontario in at least one area of law affecting low income or socially disadvantaged communities
- Experience working in a community‐based setting with people who experience social disadvantage
- Experience in written communications, such as publishing or journalism
- Project management skills and experience, including skills in managing multiple projects and coordinating external service providers
- Proven record of producing creative and innovative ideas, projects, and solutions
- Digital literacy skills, including an awareness of U/I U/X, legal information technology, and content management systems an asset
- Experience in immigration and refugee, social assistance, or employment law an asset
- Fluency in French an asset
CLEO is an independent, charitable organization and community legal clinic that specializes in providing public legal education and information to low‐income and disadvantaged communities across Ontario. For 45 years, CLEO has built a strong reputation for producing and delivering high‐quality, effective public legal education materials in print, online, and other formats.
Please send your resume and cover letter in a PDF file with “Legal Content Developer” in the subject line by April 15, 2020 to: email@example.com.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in the position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.