Community Advocacy & Legal Centre (CALC)
Are you a lawyer with 8 or more years experience looking for meaningful employment, interested in community lawyering approaches, and committed to social justice and service innovation? We invite you to consider joining our dynamic, progressive and collaborative legal team. We are a busy and creative community legal clinic serving three counties and the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory in rural central/south-eastern Ontario. The successful candidate will provide a broad spectrum of poverty law services and is expected to lead community development, law reform, and systemic advocacy projects.
If you have the following experience and competencies, please consider applying:
- Experience in areas of law impacting people living on a low income and vulnerable communities, particularly tenant, income security, employment, and human rights, and consumer & debt law. To support our gender-based violence work, criminal, family and civil law experience is an added asset.
- Proven track record in project planning, management and evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people living on a low income and in rural communities
- Commitment to trauma-informed, culturally sensitive, and anti-oppressive approaches
- Proven ability to interact with high need clients with complex needs in an empathetic manner
- Understanding of and commitment to working on significant legal and social justice issues impacting on our communities
- Capacity to work collaboratively and strategically across disciplines to improve access to justice with partners in the justice, health, social service, government, and/or community sectors
- Demonstrated high achievement in prior employment with excellent analytical, creative, evaluative, and strategic thinking skills as well as strong time and project management skills
- Litigation and tribunal experience, as well as appropriate/alternative dispute resolution experience
- Established ability for participating effectively and with impact in high energy and ambitious teams
- High degree of computer literacy and administrative self-sufficiency
This is a permanent employment opportunity. The salary range is currently under review, but is currently $85,000 – $95,000. If you are interested, please forward your resume, a letter explaining your interest in the position, and three professional references no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 1, 2023 to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and only those being offered an interview will be contacted.
COMMUNITY ADVOCACY & LEGAL CENTRE
158 George Street, Level 1
Belleville, Ontario K8N 3H2
We are an equal opportunity employer striving to reflect the population living in Ontario.