Legal Caseworker or Articling Student
Unison Health & Community Services
Contract Position (0.8 FTE): Dec. 15, 2023 – Dec. 31, 2024
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Operating out of five locations, Unison offers core services that work together to provide services in primary health care, counselling, health promotion, Early Years programs, legal services, harm reduction programs, housing assistance, adult protective services, Pathways to Education and Diabetes Education Centre. The Legal Clinic works out of the Keele-Rogers Site located at 1651 Keele St.
Unison HCS are committed to working from an inclusive, sex positive, harm reduction, anti-racist, anti-oppression and participatory framework.
At this time, Unison is seeking a Contract Staff Lawyer or qualified Licensed Paralegal to work 4 days per week. We would also consider an Articling Student for a 10-month (FT) term with a 2 month extension after the articling term was completed. The work would primarily involve summary advice and casework in housing, along with some advice and casework in other areas of clinic law.
Skills and qualifications
- Must be licensed and be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario or eligible to Article in Ontario.
- Demonstrated experience in housing. Experience in other areas of clinic law such as social assistance and immigration law would be an asset.
- Experience in dealing with disadvantaged groups and awareness of their problems.
- The ability to communicate with, and address the needs of people from a variety of social, cultural backgrounds, and socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
The Salary range is $65,000 – $80,000 (on a pro-rated basis), depending on experience and qualifications.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by 5:00 p.m., November 22, 2023 to my attention at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We particularly encourage applicants who are reflective of the diversity of our communities. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.