Senior staff housing & litigation lawyer
Neighbourhood Legal Services (NLS)
Neighbourhood Legal Services (NLS) is a community legal clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide poverty law services in the areas of housing, immigration, income security and employment to low-income residents of Toronot’s east downtown neighbourhoods. NLS has an opening for a Staff Housing & Litigation Lawyer. This is a permanent full-time position.
The successful candidate will work principally on files before the Landlord & Tenant Board, while also advancing systemic law reform issues. This position also includes sharing duties related to onsite legal consults for patients of the St. Michael’s Hospital Academic Family Health Team through our Health Justice Program.
Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
Relevant experience and advocacy skills such as:
- A minimum of 3 years experience in appellate litigation
- At least 2 years of experience advocating before administrative tribunals such as the Landlord & Tenant Board or experience specifically working on tenant-side housing matters;
- Knowledge of legal frameworks that affect people living in poverty
- Ability to identify and advance reform of systemic issues affecting marginalized community members
- Experience building alliances with community members and other community stakeholders
The salary offered will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and will range from $75,000 – $95,000.
NLS is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from those with lived experience of oppression. We encourage applications from members of Black, Indigenous, People of Colour communities, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ people. In addition to their resumé, applicants should detail their relevant experience in a covering letter and must include at least three references as well as a short sample of legal writing. Applications must be received by the legal clinic by Friday, November 17 and should be addressed to the attention of:
The Hiring Committee, Neighbourhood Legal Services
163 Queen Street East #101
Toronto, ON M5A 1S1
Fax: (416) 861-1777
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.