The Durham Community Legal Clinic (DCLC) is a not-for-profit community-based legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario. In operation since 1985, DCLC provides free legal services to low income residents of Durham Region. DCLC is currently seeking a hire a permanent, full time licenced Paralegal with clinic experience and a focus in CPPD, OW, ODSP and SBT.
- Conduct Intake process with clients
- Provide advice and represent clients in the Social Benefit area of clinic law
- Conduct Public Legal Education in the clinic’s areas of law
- Make appropriate referrals according to clients needs
- Perform Casework related to representing clients
- Ensure client records and files are accurate and current in accordance with DCLC and LSO policies
- Prepare statistical and written reports as requested
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled meetings and training
- Participate in and initiate a range of community development activities, including law reform efforts and public legal education, and building collaborative relationships with Durham community partners
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Knowledge of Ontario social assistance law (minimum 3 years experience);
- Commitment to social justice and anti-oppressive legal practice;
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills;
- Experience in Public Legal Education and an interest in public speaking;
- Experience serving diverse clients including those from low-income and highly sensitive backgrounds;
- Empathy to people living on low income or in poverty; and
- A driver’s licence and interest to attend offsite events.
- DCLC strives to promote a safe and welcoming work environment
- Typical Office setting
- Normal operations include (but not limited to) filing, photocopying, answering phones, computer work, video conferencing, face to face interactions with the public (note: clients may at times present confrontational situations).
In addition to review of qualifications, interviews and reference checks, successful candidates may be invited to participate in a written test and other assessment tools.
Please visit our website for more information about our organization: https://www.durhamcommunitylegalclinic.ca
The DCLC offices are fully accessible.
Interested candidates are asked to email Sinead.email@example.com a cover letter and resume/CV demonstrating how you meet the qualifications as set out above by 5 p.m. on September 1, 2023. Please use the subject line: “Paralegal”
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
DCLC is committed to equitable employment and hiring practices and is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from individuals from diverse, marginalized and racialized communities and backgrounds and people with disabilities including all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and perspectives at DCLC. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.