Contract Staff Lawyer Position
Community Legal Clinic – Simcoe, Haliburton, Kawartha Lakes is seeking a lawyer for a fifteen month contract with the potential for an extension of that term.
The Clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario, provides free legal services to persons with low income in the Counties of Simcoe and Haliburton and the City of Kawartha Lakes, an area of over 12,000 square kilometers. The Clinic provides services from its headquarters in Orillia and four satellite offices located throughout its catchment area.
The Clinic’s principal practice areas are disability issues, income maintenance, housing, workers’ compensation, employment law, human rights, consumer law and civil litigation. It is engaged in extensive public legal education and community outreach programs and prides itself on its innovative approach to the delivery of its services.
The role of the lawyer is to:
- work under the supervision of and report to the Executive Director
- perform casework, represent clients before courts and administrative tribunals including the Social Benefits Tribunal and the Landlord and Tenant Board and provide summary advice and brief services to clients
- supervise paralegals and placement students
- conduct legal research
- represent the Clinic in the community through written work and public speaking
- engage in public legal education and community outreach
- perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director Qualifications:
- Licensee of the Law Society of Ontario
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- Excellent advocacy and legal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to providing high quality legal advice and representation to the disadvantaged
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Valid driver’s licence is required
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is required
- Experience in appearing before tribunals or courts is required
- Experience working in a community legal clinic an asset
- Experience in community outreach and development an asset
Salary range is between $80,000 to $90,000 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. A generous benefits package including RRSP contributions is provided.
Please submit your covering letter and resume demonstrating how you meet the above qualifications by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 20, 2023 by e-mail to:
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information regarding the Clinic, please visit www.communitylegalclinic.ca