Workers’ Health and Safety Legal Clinic
Workers’ Health and Safety Legal Clinic is seeking a staff lawyer to join our team. The Clinic is a specialty clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario to provide legal advice and representation to non-unionized low wage workers who face health and safety problems at work. We assist in many areas of employment-related law such as unlawful reprisals, workers’ compensation issues, wrongful dismissal and human rights matters. The Clinic works closely with other legal clinics and community agencies to improve Ontario’s health and safety/workers’ compensation system.
Main duties of the job
- Advise and represent workers at various tribunals such as the Ontario Labour Relations Board, Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal, Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario and the Canada Industrial Relations Board;
- Participate in law reform and community outreach;
- Advise and represent workers at Small Claims Court regarding wrongful dismissal and constructive dismissal; and
- Provide advice to other caseworkers and law students at the clinic.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Experience at administrative tribunals, especially the OLRB, WSIAT and the HRTO;
- Experience doing wrongful dismissal matters at Small Claims Court;
- An ability to carry out casework independently and conduct legal research;
- Previous work experience and/or demonstrated interest in employment law and occupational health and safety issues.
- Experience working in a community legal clinic and ability to work in a second language are assets – some travel may be required.
Salary commensurate with experience ranges between $75,000 and $85,000, includes pension plan and benefits.
To apply e-mail cover letter and CV to Linda Vannucci at email@example.com and John Bartolomeo at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before April 3, 2023.