Legal Aid Online user agreement
Please make sure that you read the User Agreement very carefully before you start using Legal Aid Online. Your “sign-in” to Legal Aid Online constitutes consent and acceptance of the User Agreement.
The website, Legal Aid Online, is provided by Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) as a service to permit users to electronically submit accounts to Legal Aid Ontario. It is intended for the use of authorized users of Legal Aid Online. By using the service, you accept and agree to the terms and conditions set out in this agreement.
Subject to the terms and conditions in this agreement, LAO will:
- Provide the service to users through this portal site, the World Wide Web with the URL www.legalaidonline.on.ca;
- Use reasonable efforts to provide access to this service seven days a week and 18 hours a day, subject to maintenance, repair, support and system updates;
- Process accounts filed through the service in a timely manner;
- Maintain privacy of personal information as set out below;
- Provide users access to the website with individual, unique user names and passwords, widely accessible training information and a Lawyer Service Desk.
Submission of Accounts
- All accounts submitted through the portal must be submitted in accordance with the Legal Aid Tariff.
- By submitting an account, you represent and warrant that, as the acknowledging lawyer, you are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the contents of the account and have:
- reviewed the account before submitting it to LAO;
- performed the legal services billed for;
- made reasonable efforts to ensure that legal fees and disbursements were reasonable and necessary;
- billed all disbursements strictly in accordance with the Tariff and Billing Handbook or in accordance with specific authorization from LAO; and
- you are entitled to receive payment according to the Legal Aid Services Act and its regulations and schedules.
- LAO may require you to provide proof and justification of all items included in an account, including production of time-keeping and accounting records.
- Some accounts will be chosen at random for Post‑Payment Examination, and lawyers will be required to provide LAO with account details.
- By using this service, you agree to accept responsibility and liability for all transactions or activities that occur under your account.
- Lawyers should take precautions to make sure accounts submitted are virus-free.
- Electronically submitted attachments are considered copies and if required, you may be required to submit originals.
Restrictions on Use of Materials and Software
All contents of this /website are the property of Legal Aid Ontario and are protected by Canadian and international copyright laws.
While every effort is made to ensure that the information and materials contained in this site are accurate, including text, graphics and other items, they are provided on an “as is” basis. LAO does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy, timeliness, or completeness of this information and materials and expressly disclaims liability for errors or omissions in this information and materials. No warranty of any kind, implied, express, or statutory is given in conjunction with the information and materials.
Limitation of Liability
Under no circumstances, including but not limited to negligence, shall Legal Aid Ontario or its employees be liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, the software or other materials in the site.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the collection and use of your personal information, contact the Privacy and Access to Information Officer at: Legal Aid Ontario, 40 Dundas St. W., Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5G 2H1 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Aid Ontario provides an environment that takes measures to protect the security of your personal and accounts information. Legal Aid Ontario has taken reasonable efforts to ensure users’ and clients’ security and privacy. Our policies prevent us from disclosing information relating to that security. Users should be aware that the Internet is not a fully secure medium and neither the privacy of your communications nor the privacy of other site activities can be guaranteed. The nature of Internet communications means that your communications may be susceptible to data corruption, unauthorized access, interception and delays.
Legal Aid Ontario may modify, alter, or update this Agreement at any time with or without notice. Please review the link on a regular basis for any such changes.
Users will indemnify and hold Legal Aid Ontario and its officers and staff harmless from and against all claims, liability, and expenses arising out of the use of or your breach of any provision of this agreement.