Please take note of the following language interpreter resources that you may be able to access either at LAO rates or for no cost:
The Ministry of Citizenship administers a Language Interpreter Services program for service providers working with individuals who have a limited proficiency in English and are currently experiencing domestic abuse. If you are a providing legal services to an individual currently experiencing domestic abuse, you are encouraged to call one of the 10 community agencies (see below) to access interpreters through this program, who are then paid for by the Ministry of Citizenship, i.e. you are not billed.
Interpreter services are available in the following languages through this program:
All you need to do is to call the community agency closest to you at any time, including outside of regular work hours, and request the services of an interpreter, either on site or via the telephone. The program also includes telephone message relay services (e.g. an interpreter is available to relay a message over the phone).
Outside of the mandate of this program (i.e. helping women to escape abuse) most of these 10 agencies also provide interpretation services on a fee-for-service basis. Given that they are non-profit and the interpreters are trained to the high standards set by the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, they are a good place to start in terms of finding reasonably priced and high quality interpretation services.
And, you will find a list of Cultural/Community Agencies that may provide free interpretation for members of the community they serve.
At this time the attached lists of interpreters is limited in its geographical coverage. We would like to expand and build our existing list, particularly in geographical areas that we don’t have interpreters for. Let us know if you have any suggestions for adding more interpreters to our existing lists.
Community Agencies Providing Interpretation Services
- Across Languages Translation & Interpretation Services
- Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, Interpreter Service
- Immigrant Women Services Ottawa, Cultural Interpretation Service
- Information Niagara/Hamilton, Interpreters Niagara/Hamilton
- Kitchener-Waterloo Multicultural Centre, Community Interpreter Dept.
- Language Link Ontario
- Multicultural Association of Kenora and District, Interpreter Access Service
- Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County, Translation, Interpretation & Cultural Interpretation
- Multilingual Community Interpreter Services
1185 Eglinton Ave E, Ste 605
Toronto, Ontario M3C 3C6
Phone: (416) 426-7051 ext.7992 or ext.7944
Toll Free: 1-888-236-8311
24/7 emergency: (416) 422-5984
Fax: (416) 426-7118
- Thunder Bay Multicultural Association, Interpretation Services