Starting April 14: live duty counsel legal advice for in-custody clients with upcoming court appearances, without legal representation for criminal matters
Published: April 9, 2020
As part of LAO’s continuing response to COVID‑19, LAO will provide live duty counsel legal advice for in-custody clients with upcoming court appearances and without legal representation for criminal matters, starting April 14, 2020.
In-custody clients calling the dedicated in custody line will be connected directly with a local duty counsel.
How it works
- In-custody clients call LAO’s inmate line at 1‑866‑883‑9665 (TTY 1‑866‑641‑8867), the same line inmates use to apply for legal aid.
- Clients without counsel and with a court date in the next four days will be transferred to duty counsel at the courthouse where their matter is to be heard.
- Inmates may receive up to 20 minutes of legal advice per call (per provincial jail call time restriction).
- Duty counsel financial eligibility test (DCFET) is not required.
- Calls can be transferred to duty counsel Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
We are continuing to work with corrections institutions to ensure that LAO clients can access our services during this time.