Getting legal help
Landlord/tenant legal issues
If you have a problem with your landlord, you may qualify for free legal help.
Some reasons you may need legal help:
- Your home or the building where you live has rats, cockroaches, bed bugs or other pests.
- Your home does not have the basic services. For example, your home does not have heat or electricity
- Your landlord wants to:
- raise your rent in fewer than 90 days
- raise your rent by more than what the law allows
- ask you to pay for something you do not think you should have to pay for
- evict you
How to get help
You can get help from a legal clinic. A legal clinic will not charge you for legal advice, but they may ask you to pay for certain fees such as court filing and medical record fees.
You can also speak with a clinic lawyer (they are called duty counsel) at a landlord and tenant board office. You do not need an appointment, with duty counsel but it is first come, first served. Priority is given to people facing an eviction hearing.