Board of directors e‑meeting June 24, 2019
Published: June 24, 2019
- Christa Freiler
- Sean Robichaud
- Remy Boulbol
- Ann Marie Yantz
- Peter Owsiany
- James Yakimovich
- Malcolm Heins
- Nancy Cooper
- Carol Hartman (by phone)
- Michel Robillard (by phone)
- Charles Harnick (Chair)
- David Field (CEO – ex-officio)
- Louis Dimitracopoulos
- David McKillop
- Janet Budgell
- Mary-Ann Cocchetto
1. Meeting Agenda
The agenda was adopted.
2. Disclosure of Conflict of Interest
No Conflicts of Interest were declared.
3. Minutes of Board of Directors Meetings
- May 10, 2019 (Retreat)
- May 10, 2019
- May 24, 2019
- May 27, 2019
- June 7, 2019
DECISION: That the minutes of the above listed meetings were adopted, subject to the amendment as indicated of the May 27, 2019 minutes.
4. Chair’s Report
- Board Advisory Committee Meetings – Report and Minutes
- The Board discussed the minutes of the spring advisory committee meetings. The President and CEO confirmed that recommendations made by the committees inform LAO’s work where feasible. The Chair indicated the next set of advisory meetings will take place in the fall.
DECISION: The Chair’s Report was received.
5. President’s Performance Review
The President and CEO outlined his performance over the prior year highlighting outcomes. The Board discussed the CEO Performance Review.
DECISION: The CEO’s performance review was approved.
6. Board In-Camera Session
The Board held an in-camera session.
7. President’s Report
The President and CEO outlined recent highlights in the organization including information related to the high usage of the client portal, and improvements in wait times at the call-centre.
He noted a need to review LAO’s vulnerable client strategies, and monitor organizational morale in light of the current budget.
DECISION: That the President’s report be received.
8. Audit and Finance Committee Minutes
- Minutes of June 7, 2019 Meeting
DECISION: The minutes of the above listed meeting were adopted.
9. 2018-19 Signed LAO and Pension Plan Financial Statements
The Board reviewed the LAO and Pension Plan Financial Statements. The Board was advised that LAO obtained an unqualified opinion from the Auditor.
The Board discussed ways to streamline audit approval processes in future years.
DECISION: The LAO and Pension Plan Financial Statements were adopted.
10. MAG’s Legal Aid Modernization Project
The President and CEO provided an overview of the Legal Aid Modernization Project. The project will have two components: a review of the legislation to determine how it can be modernized and a review of LAO’s programs and service delivery model. The Board also discussed the importance of obtaining input from stakeholders.
DECISION: That the update on MAG’s Legal Aid Modernization Project be received.
11. Board Remuneration Policy and Directives
The Board reviewed applicable Board remuneration and expense policies and directives.
DECISION: The Board received the Board Remuneration Policy and Directives.
12. Board Governance
- Draft Committee Charters
- Proposed Board and Committee Meeting schedules to December, 2020
The Chair outlined the new Board committee structure and draft charters. The Chair clarified that the Operations Committee also acts as the Clinic Committee. The draft Charters for each committee will be amended to state that the Committee Chair will cast the tie-breaking vote if necessary.
DECISION: The Board received the draft Committee Charters, as amended, the proposed Board and Committee Meeting schedules, and the Charters, which will be finalized and adopted at the first meeting of each Committee.
13. Savings Update
The Board reviewed a report on the following items:
- Update on organization-wide savings initiatives and next steps
- Regional services savings: budget and service reductions
- 2019-20 Certificate Program and Central Operations Division savings overview
- Proposed Tier 2 savings
The President and CEO presented the organization’s savings strategies. The Board discussed the implications that any further reductions would have on operations and services.
DECISION: The Board received the Savings Update.
14. Enterprise Risk Management Update
Staff presented the Enterprise Risk Management update. Staff indicated that in light of the budget reductions, staff will return in the fall with identification of risks in the current fiscal environment.
DECISION: The Board received the Enterprise Risk Management update.