Child custody/access/support

If you qualify, and you do not have a final court order, we can help you and your ex decide:

  • custody: who can make major decisions (for example, school, health care, religion, etc.) about how to care for and raise your child
  • residence: where your child will live
  • access: how your child spends time with the person they do not live with and how you and your ex share holidays/special days
  • support: how much money the parent who does not live with the child or children pays to the other parent

Changing your final court orders for custody/residence/access/support

You can get help from a Family Law Information Centre at the courthouse if you have a final court order and you want to ask the court to change it. You must qualify for this service.

If there is a legal aid lawyer (called advice lawyers) available, you can get 20 minutes of free general advice. The advice lawyer may also give you a referral to a family law service centre. See if you qualify for advice lawyer services.

If you do not qualify for legal aid services and you do not have a lawyer, visit our Making a motion to change without a lawyer page for more information.