New forms available to apply for legal aid on behalf of your clients
Published: February 10, 2022
New lawyer assisted application forms are now available in the coverage areas of child protection proceedings, family law proceedings (where the applicant is experiencing domestic violence), and immigration and refugee proceedings. You may find these new forms linked below:
- Lawyer assisted application form for child protection proceedings
- Lawyer assisted application form for family law proceedings (domestic violence)
- Lawyer assisted application form for immigration and refugee proceedings
Applications are subject to legal and financial criteria. Please see the application forms for more details.
LAO is doing this to help reduce court delays and to better respond to the needs of applicants, particularly those who:
- do not speak or read English or French
- have low literacy skills
- live in communities or institutions without telephone or internet access
- have mental health issues
- have difficulty travelling to offices, courts, etc. to make an application
Applicants may also continue to apply for legal aid certificate coverage by calling 416-979-1446 or toll free at 1-800-668-8258 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST). Applicants may also apply for legal aid on our client website. Please note that lawyers are not expected to assist applicants if they apply online through our client site.
For more information, please contact LAO’s Lawyer Service Centre.