Tenant legal issues
Important changes are being made to government programs such as employment insurance (EI) and housing rights. Information is changing daily, please check often.
If you have a problem with your landlord, you may qualify for free legal help.
Some reasons you may need legal help:
- the home or the building where you live has pests
- your home does not have basic services like heat or electricity
- Your landlord wants to:
- raise your rent in fewer than 90 days
- raise your rent by more than what the law allows
- ask you to pay for something you do not think you should have to pay for
- evict you
How to get help
For more information about landlord and tenant issues, visit Tribunals Ontario’s website.