Contract Lawyer – Family Law
South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO)
The South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO) is a community legal clinic funded by multiple sources including Legal Aid Ontario (LAO). We provide legal advice, representation, legal education and community development / law reform for low-income South Asians in Ontario, including, but not limited to, clients from Africa, the Caribbean, Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, and other people of South Asian origin. We provide legal services in a variety of areas of law and now have an exciting opportunity in Family Law. This position is funded by the Federal Department of Justice for a contract from Present – March 31, 2026.
The clinic is seeking a contract Family Law Lawyer to join our team. We are open to discussing a contract that will allow the hired lawyer to either work full-time at SALCO or work with SALCO and maintain their own private practice. Salary will range from $70,000 – $76,000 (commensurate to experience and hours worked). The position also includes extended health benefits, four weeks of vacation annually (pro-rated based on hours worked), and coverage of Law Society of Ontario and legal insurance fees.
- Provide summary legal advice and brief services to South Asian communities on family law matters in English and a South Asian language;
- Provide training on family law for other SALCO staff;
- Cross-train with other SALCO staff on immigration law with the goal of eventually providing basic immigration law advice and brief services under the supervision of SALCO staff;
- Create plain language Public Legal Education information materials in our top 5 South Asian languages (Tamil, Bengali, Urdu, Hindi, and Punjabi) on topics in family law (ex: divorce, child support, spousal support, decision-making/parenting time, motions for exclusive possession of the matrimonial home, and motions to seek permission to apply for passports without the other parents’ consent) and immigration law (ex: humanitarian and compassionate applications, temporary resident permits, family violence pilot projects for temporary and permanent immigration status, dealing with loss of temporary visas, issues for international students, and family class sponsorship);
- Conduct Public Legal Education sessions in community on family and/or immigration law;
- Perform administrative and management functions related to the practice of law; and
- Provide services through satellite clinic sites around the Greater Toronto Area.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario;
- Fluency in/ability to speak a South Asian language is a significant asset;
- 1-3 years’ experience in family law;
- Strong oral and written advocacy skills; and
- Experience in public legal education work.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a covering letter, résumé, and two reference letters by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 16, 2022 to:
SALCO Hiring Committee
South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario
106A – 45 Sheppard Avenue East
Toronto, Ontario, M2N 5W9
- We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve.
- While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted. We estimate that we will be contacting candidates for interviews mid to late September 2022.
- SALCO currently works in a hybrid model (2 days in the office and 3 days at home)
- Requirement of Vaccination against COVID-19: Please be advised that SALCO requires all staff, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination must be provided, subject to requests for medical or human-rights based exemptions.