Association of Community Legal Clinics of Ontario
Part-time, permanent position
The Association of Community Legal Clinics of Ontario (ACLCO) is the representative body for Ontario’s community legal clinics. The ACLCO speaks on behalf of the clinic system to government, to funders, and to other justice sector stakeholders. The ACLCO also supports clinics in their efforts to provide high quality legal services to Ontario’s low-income communities.
The ACLCO is a non-profit organization, composed of 4 staff, including the part-time Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant will work for 20 hours a week and report to the ACLCO’s Executive Director. The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for:
General Administrative Support to the ACLCO, including:
- Ensuring the professional and effective functioning of the ACLCO office;
- Basic IT support for ACLCO staff;
- Ensuring the smooth functioning of all office equipment;
- Ordering all office supplies
- Ensuring the operation of the ACLCO workspace
- Arranging travel and meetings for the ACLCO staff.
- Providing support, as needed, to the co-op where the ACLCO is located.
Financial Support, including:
- Assists ACLCO Treasurer by providing the Treasurer with financial information;
- Collects ACLCO membership dues;
- Organizes and submits all invoices for payments;
- Deals with banks, financial institutions, debtors and creditors;
- Administers benefits for ACLCO staff;
- Liaises with the ACLCO bookkeeper and payroll administrator;
- Works with the auditor to prepare the ACLCO’s audit.
Support to the ACLCO Board of Directors, including:
- Taking and distributing minutes of ACLCO board meetings, and other meetings as required;
- Assisting the Board with travel and accommodation;
- Arranging and supporting in-person and electronic meetings of the ACLCO Board and its subcommittees;
Maintaining the Public Presence of the ACLCO, including:
- Responding to incoming telephone, website and email contact;
- Participating in the ACLCO’s AGM Planning Committee, and taking a lead role in organizing and facilitating the ACLCO AGM
- Updating information on the ACLCO website
- Co-ordinating the distribution of media releases.
Other General Duties as Assigned.
Qualifications and Assets
- A commitment to social justice principles
- Experience providing technical support
- Advanced computer skills; the ACLCO operates in a Windows environment and the position will rely heavily on Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Zoom, Adobe Acrobat and uses Outlook for email
- Basic financial skills including understanding of non-profit financial monitoring, understanding budgets, reconciliation of expenses and supporting the treasurer and audit. Advanced spreadsheet (Excel) skills is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication, organizational problem-solving, troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Strong team player
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed
- Able to prioritize and work to deadlines, with attention to details
- Fully vaccinated against Covid and commitment to maintain full vaccination in accordance with public health guidelines
The salary range is between $22.00 and $34.00 an hour (in accordance with experience), 20 hours a week.
There is a benefit plan and the ACLCO will make contributions to a group RRSP plan for the employee.
At the ACLCO office, at 55 University Avenue in downtown Toronto. (Although a mixture of in-person and remote work will be necessary during the Covid pandemic, and may continue subsequently.)
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15, 2021.
The ACLCO is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion and we are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals from diverse communities and backgrounds and from people with disabilities. Accommodation is available pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code. We will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you need any accommodation.
Thanks to all applicants for your interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.