Legal Clinic Lawyer
North Peel & Dufferin Community Legal Services
We are passionate about social justice and dedicated to superb client service. If you are interested in working hard at meaningful work as part of a collaborative team, this is the place for you!
This work is very challenging but brings great satisfaction. The people we serve desperately need our help and we need to bring our top game to the job each and every day. The stakes are high for our clients. We are looking for a lawyer to join our team. We anticipate that this lawyer will primarily provide immigration law services, with some employment law. North Peel & Dufferin Community Legal Services is a community legal clinic providing free legal services for persons with low incomes in Brampton, Caledon and Dufferin County: see www.NorthPeelDufferinJustice.ca.
Our geographic area includes a fast growing, extremely diverse urban area and sparsely occupied rural areas. This position involves service across a large geographic area. It is a job requirement to be licensed to drive and to have a vehicle for work travel. This position will include the provision of advice, representation at tribunals and courts, public legal education, community development and law reform.
- Membership in good standing as a lawyer with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Minimum of two years’ experience practising immigration law.
- Commitment to social justice.
- Commitment to working within an Anti-Racism, Anti-Oppression, client-centred, trauma-informed framework.
- Commitment to the delivery of high quality legal services to disadvantaged individuals and groups.
- Strong legal, advocacy and communications skills.
- A self-starter who is able to manage multiple priorities in a high volume service delivery environment.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Community legal clinic experience is highly desirable.
- Capacity to work in French is an asset, as is the ability to speak languages relevant to the communities we serve.
Salary will be in the range of $80,000 to $89,000, based on the level of experience. A health benefits package and RRSP benefit are also provided.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from disadvantaged and marginalized communities. We encourage applications from people who are reflective of the communities that we serve.
Applications should include a resume with all documents included in a single PDF and should be sent by email to FlemingJ@lao.on.ca by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 23rd, 2021.
We thank all applicants, but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.