Senior Area Director
Legal Aid Manitoba
LE3 Senior Legal Officer 3
Legal Aid Manitoba, Corporate and Strategic Services
Advertisement Number: 37364
Salary(s): LE3 $145,952.00 – $160,383.00 per year
Closing Date: June 18, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Legal Aid Manitoba’s role flows from The Legal Aid Manitoba Act and responsibility to provide quality legal advice and representation to eligible low-income individuals; administer the delivery of legal aid in a cost-effective and efficient manner; and provide advice to the minister on legal aid generally and on the specific legal needs of low income individuals. Legal Aid Manitoba strives to serve all clients with respect and dignity; service that is fundamental to a fair and balanced justice system.
Legal Aid Manitoba recognizes the impacts of colonization on the indigenous peoples of Canada and the long term effects in the justice system. Legal services are provided in the following areas: Public Interest Law (human rights, Indigenous rights, consumer rights, poverty, environmental protection), Family, Immigration and Refugee, Child Protection, Criminal, mental health, housing-related issues and government benefit programs (e.g. income assistance).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Manitoba or similar body within Canada at the time of application
- Extensive experience in a legal environment including practicing criminal, family or child protection law as a member of the Law
- Society of Manitoba or an equivalent governing body
- Managerial experience reflecting responsibility for human and fiscal resources
- Experience in case management in Criminal, Family or Child Protection matters
- Experience in program development, implementation, management and evaluation
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment
- Proven leadership skills with demonstrated ability to promote and support diversity, equity, professionalism and respect in the workplace
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships and networks within government, the legal profession, external agencies and other service partners
- Excellent written communication skills including the ability to prepare a wide range of materials, including policies, decisions and reports
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to develop and maintain strong and effective teams involving a wide variety of clients, managers and staff
- Previous education on the effects of colonization of the Indigenous peoples of Canada and the impacts of colonization on the justice system
- Knowledge of The Legal Aid Manitoba Act, Regulations and the Area Directors’ Manual
- Knowledge of Legal Aid Manitoba taxation policies (e.g. Taxation Manual)
- Experience in legal practice in rural and northern communities – including attending circuit courts
- Experience managing staff in a unionized environment
The Senior Area Director is a member of the Executive Management Committee of LAM and is accountable for providing leadership and direction in the areas of Intake, Duty Counsel Offices, Application Centres and Area Director offices pursuant to criteria set out in legislation and application regulation and guidelines.
Advertisement # 37364
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.