Bilingual Staff Lawyer – Tenants’ Rights
Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) is looking for a Bilingual Staff Lawyer for a one year contract position, with the possibility of extension, with our community legal clinic. This is a full time unionized position.
Working with a team of dedicated professionals and a provincial network of advocates, the successful candidate will participate in ACTO’s law reform, test case and appellate litigation, housing policy and legal education projects to advance the rights of low-income tenants.
Candidate must be a:
- Member of the Law Society of Ontario.
- Have the ability to provide legal services in both of Ontario’s Official Languages (English and French)
- Commitment to social justice issues and service and working within an Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression, client-centred, trauma informed framework
- Experience in housing law, human rights law or related public interest advocacy
- Strong communication (both oral and written) skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
The salary for the position is within the range of $80,000 to $90,000 per year. The position includes a generous benefits package, including employer contributed RRSP benefits. We provide a supportive workplace for a lawyer interested in having an impact on the housing issues for low-income Ontarians.
Please submit a resume, a covering letter, two reference letters, and a persuasive writing sample in both English and French by June 25, 2021 addressed to Hiring Committee at email@example.com or by mail to:
Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario
1500-55 University Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2H7
ACTO is committed to establishing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace, particularly for those who have been historically excluded from, and under-represented in, the practice of law including individuals who are identified by grounds under human rights legislation, such as: Indigenous peoples; people with disabilities; individuals from racialized groups; people of diverse faiths and creeds; gays, lesbians, transgendered people, and others with diverse sexual orientation; and women.
We thank all applicants, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.