Community Legal Clinic of York Region (CLCYR)
The Community Legal Clinic of York Region (CLCYR) is a legal clinic serving the legal needs of low income residents of York Region. The Board of Directors is looking for an Executive Director.
The Clinic promotes universal access to justice and the elimination of poverty through legal representation, summary advice, referrals, public legal education and information, community development, and law reform. The Clinic delivers high quality services reflecting our commitment to respect, fairness, equality and empowerment.
The Board of the Clinic is seeking a progressive, collaborative and equity-minded leader to take on this unique opportunity. The Clinic is responsible for serving the largest population in the province and one of the largest geographical clinic areas in southern Ontario. We hope to expand the Clinic’s services to ensure that York Region’s diverse needs are met.
The Board is looking for an Executive Director who not only has a grounding in poverty and social justice issues but also has a strong passion for such work. The Executive Director should embody and promote the principles of the Clinic with the staff, and to clients and the community.
The Board is looking for a candidate with the following key characteristics:
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario, holding an LLB or JD degree is required;
- A collaborative, inclusive, respectful and transparent approach to dealing with staff, the Board and stakeholders;
- A demonstrated commitment to and understanding of equity and anti-racism principles, including the profound negative impact of anti-Black and Indigenous racism, and the importance of ensuring that the Clinic’s work is conducted through such a lens;
- A demonstrated commitment to and understanding of economic and social equity and how it shapes experiences within the justice system;
- Understands the importance of establishing and maintaining a productive, constructive and solutions-oriented relationship with the Clinic’s funders, including its primary funder Legal Aid Ontario;
- Significant experience working in poverty law or social justice law or the equivalent (experience in the clinic system is a definite asset);
- An experienced strategic and creative thinker who can develop and execute short- and long-term plans while monitoring and making adjustments based on feedback and data;
- Ability to champion issues impacting the Clinic’s client community, both as a public spokesperson and advocate;
- An effective communicator with active listening skills and respect for differences of opinion;
- Demonstrated experience in organizational financial management, especially budgeting and financial reporting;
- Three to five years’ experience in a senior leadership role;
- Experience reporting to a board or a member of a community board or the equivalent;
- A second language and being a resident of York Region are assets.
The salary range for this position is $120,000 – $160,000.
Application Deadline: Thursday, April 29, 2021 – 4:00 pm
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume demonstrating how you meet the qualifications as set out in this job ad to:
Community Legal Clinic of York Region
CLCYR is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from individuals from diverse, marginalized and racialized communities and backgrounds, and people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.