Community Support Worker
Scarborough Community Legal Services
Application Deadline: November 25, 2020
SCLS is a non-profit community based legal clinic that provides clinic law services to low income individuals in a culturally diverse community. Our work includes individual case work, public legal education, law reform, and community development activities in the areas of housing, income maintenance, immigration, and employment law.
We are looking for an enthusiastic social worker or social service worker to join our team as a community support worker until March 31, 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide holistic service that meets the legal and non‑legal needs of people living with mental health issues and poverty, based upon social work principles, ethics, and professional knowledge base.
- Collaborate with the legal team and consult on case files using social work principles, values, ethics and knowledge
- In consultation with the legal team, support case work by providing direct assistance to clients to advance their goals, and work with clients to develop strategies for problem solving.
- A focus area of the case work will be related to assisting homeless or precariously housed clients to find safe, affordable, and stable housing.
- Work independently with confidence in problem solving, making decisions, and exercising judgement.
- Develop relationships and work collaboratively with community supports/agencies to provide warm referrals and coordinate services.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree or social services diploma, or commensurate education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with vulnerable individuals from a variety of social and cultural backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and working for positive social change on issues that affect low income individuals and groups.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative work approach and the ability to work well in a team based environment.
- Awareness of community resources in Scarborough is an asset.
- The ability to speak a second language is an asset.
This is a full-time contract until March 31, 2021. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
All applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “Community Support Worker Application” when submitting your application by email.
The deadline for applications is November 25, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCLS welcomes applications from diverse individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code. We are committed to full compliance with the Human Rights Code, the Accessibility For Ontarians With Disabilities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.