Social assistance lawyer
Community Legal Clinic of York Region (CLCYR)
The Community Legal Clinic of York Region (CLCYR) is a legal clinic serving the legal needs of low-income residents of York Region. CLCYR staff provide legal advice and representation, deliver public legal education, and participate in community development initiatives.
CLCYR is seeking a full-time, permanent lawyer for our Social Assistance Team. The proposed start date for this position is July 16, 2020.
- The Staff Lawyer will carry a full case load focusing primarily on income maintenance matters including: social assistance appeals, and federal benefit issues such as Canada Child Benefit, Canada Pension Plan Disability and Old Age Security appeals;
- The Staff Lawyer will provide summary advice and brief services to clients;
- The Staff Lawyer will be expected to work out of our main office in Richmond Hill, various satellite locations throughout York Region or from home as circumstances require;
- The Staff Lawyer will engage in community development activities, deliver Public Legal Education and participate in law reform initiatives as appropriate;
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada;
- Demonstrated knowledge of social justice and understanding of issues of significance to low‑income communities, including newcomers to Canada;
- Legal Clinic Experience is an asset;
- Ability to provide legal services to Franco-Ontarians is an asset;
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset;
Friday June 12, 2020
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and references by electronic mail to:
21 Dunlop Street, Suite 200
Richmond Hill, ON
CLCYR is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from individuals from diverse, marginalized and racialized communities and backgrounds. Moreover, CLCYR welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those offered an interview will be contacted.