Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa is a community legal clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide legal services for the low-income residents of Ottawa, as well as community development, organizing, law reform and legal education initiatives.
We are seeking a paralegal for an 8-month contract. The successful candidate will represent clients in housing and income support legal issues and collaborate on community-based legal initiatives.
- Provide legal advice and represent clients in housing and income support matters
- Work closely with our staff teams
- Provide duty counsel services for tenants at the Landlord and Tenant Board
- Participate in law reform matters, public presentations, lobbying, policy advocacy and media work
- Community initiatives with partner organizations
Qualifications and Experience
- Paralegal with Law Society of Ontario license in good standing
- 1 year of advocacy experience for vulnerable individuals
- Community development experience
- Capacity to work in French is strongly preferred. Fluency in other languages spoken by our clients is an important asset
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and working for change for vulnerable and marginalized groups
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work collaboratively
- Strong ability to handle multiple priorities in a high-volume environment
- Ability to supervise students
Application Deadline: July 28, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
The salary range is $60,000 to $64,000 commensurate with training and experience.
Please send a cover letter and resumé by email to email@example.com:
Clarisse Titus, Executive Director
Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa
406-1355 Bank St
Ottawa, ON K1H 8K7
We welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, people living with disabilities and other historically disadvantaged groups. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request. All information relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially. We thank all applicants but we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.