Caseworker / Intake Worker (Lawyer or Paralegal)
Rexdale Community Legal Clinic
Full-time / 1 Year Contract
The Rexdale Community Legal Clinic provides free legal services to residents of North Etobicoke (Toronto, Ontario) who are living on low incomes. The Clinic is funded by Legal Aid Ontario and governed by an independent, community-based Board of Directors.
We provide legal advice and representation in the areas of housing (particularly eviction prevention), income maintenance, employment rights, and immigration law. Our services also include public legal education, law reform, and community development.
The Rexdale Community Legal Clinic is seeking a full-time contract caseworker / intake worker for a term of 1 year. The preferred start date is May 1, 2023.
The Rexdale Community Legal Clinic is dedicated to being physically rooted in the community it serves. As such, the successful applicant must be prepared to work in the office as well as being able to work remotely.
Main duties of the position
- Conduct intake appointments (triage, referrals, advice, brief services) and carry cases, mainly in the areas of housing and income maintenance
- Advise and represent clients, both in administrative tribunal proceedings and higher levels of court, subject to the candidate’s rights of appearance
- Participate in public legal education, law reform, community development and outreach initiatives
- Support and/or supervise students and other clinic caseworkers
- A lawyer or paralegal in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Familiarity with legal clinic areas of law, especially housing and income maintenance
- At least 3 years’ experience providing legal services (preferably in a community legal clinic setting)
- Excellent legal and advocacy skills, written and oral communication skills
- Excellent legal research skills
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills
- Excellent Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook and internet research skills
- Ability to collaborate and work as a team with other caseworkers and support staff
- Ability to handle a full caseload, meet tight deadlines, and maintain accuracy and attention to detail with minimal supervision
- Ability to assist and support people in crisis in a calming and helpful manner
- Ability to prepare and present public legal education seminars and workshops to the community
- Experience working with a diverse range of clients who live on low incomes
- Familiarity with the Legal Aid Ontario Clinic Information Management System
- Familiarity with resources and agencies in RCLC’s catchment area
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range of $60,000 – $80,000 will be based on year of call/license and relevant experience
- Employer contributions to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)
- Health Spending Account
- Law Society of Ontario membership fees (pro-rated for duration of contract)
Applications must include a cover letter, résumé, contact information for two references and a writing sample of up to five pages (opinion letter, research memo, factum, etc.).
Please note that while we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Rexdale Community Legal Clinic is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
Interested candidates are asked to submit the above by email to Yodit Edemariam, Director of Legal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. on March 31, 2023. Please use the subject line: “Case Worker / Intake Worker Application 2023”.