Chatham-Kent Legal Clinic
The Chatham-Kent Legal Clinic (CKLC) is seeking a junior Staff Lawyer with approximately 3 years’ experience for a full‑time permanent position.
The successful candidate will be an important part of a team whose goal is to provide clinic law information/advice and representation, public legal education, law reform, and community development activities.
The Staff Lawyer will work within the mandate of CKLC to serve the legal needs of low‑income residents of Chatham‑Kent in the areas of law in which it practices. The areas of law may change at the direction of the Board of Directors and the Executive Director.
- Provide legal information/advice and representation to clients in the following areas of law: Ontario Disability Support Program appeals, Canada Pension Plan appeals, Ontario Works appeals, Employment Insurance, Wills and Powers of Attorney, and Landlord and Tenant matters.
- Communicate with clients; obtain documentation for case files; prepare letters to clients; maintain case files and documents; and undertake related administrative duties.
- Conduct law reform, community development activities and public legal education events.
- Record-keeping using an internet-based information management program.
- Other related duties as required by the Executive Director.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario (3‑year call preferred).
- A commitment to social justice and an understanding of the needs and challenges faced by low‑income and marginalized communities.
- Strong advocacy skills and the ability to evaluate legal issues and exercise sound judgment.
- Sound organizational and administrative skills and the ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Good computer skills; experience with Word, PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to plan and conduct engaging public legal education events.
- Ability to effectively interact with and assist clients who often face multiple challenges.
- File and document management skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and effectively as part of a team.
- Driver’s license, a vehicle, and the ability to travel (infrequently in the evenings) are required.
- Ability to manage a social media account is an asset.
- Community Legal Clinic experience is an asset.
Friday, December 6, 2019, 5:00 pm.
Based on relevant experience with a comprehensive benefits package including RRSP contributions.
February‑3, 2020 – Flexible and to be arranged.
Send an email with the following Word or pdf attachments—cover letter, resume, the names of two references with sufficient contact information—to Walter Van de Kleut, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.