Mississauga Community Legal Services
Mississauga Community Legal Services (MCLS) is a community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide legal advice and representation to low‑income residents of the City of Mississauga in various areas of law including Social Assistance, Tenants Rights, Immigration, Employment, CPP‑D, and Worker’s Compensation. We are also committed to utilizing community development strategies to improve the lives of the people we serve.
The majority of our clients who access our services are experiencing a situational crisis which impacts their ability to cope emotionally, comprehend the legal advice provided, and take the next steps to resolve their matter.
MCLS would like to enhance our clinic’s services by having a Social Worker join our team to provide the necessary supports to help address our client’s complex, co‑dependent legal and non-legal needs. This is a contract position that will be at least one year subject to Legal Aid Ontario’s Directive.
- Supporting clients through the legal process. For example, assistance in applying for, accessing and maintaining housing, short‑term case management, advocacy, assistance with income support and housing referral information.
- Providing Social Work support to our clients facing difficulties as a result of disability, including those feeling isolated within the community and experiencing practical problems with money or housng.
- Providing case management services to help our clients break out of the cycle of poverty after receiving legal assistance.
- Coordinating services with legal professionals, and participate with multidisciplinary teams.
- Liaise with community groups, agencies and professionals to facilitate clinic/client needs.
- Providing warm referrals for clients to community services.
- Providing and coordinating Public legal Education, Community Development and Outreach services.
- Maintaining accurate records, contributing to program evaluation and reporting.
- Supervising social work and/or social service work students during academic placements.
- Educating staff on trauma informed practices, de-escalation and self‑care techniques.
- MSW with three years’ of direct client service experience. (BSW applicants with exceptional experience, knowledge, and skills will also be considered).
- Registration in good standing with OCSWSSW.
- Experience with trauma informed practice while serving clients.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and service.
- Knowledge of poverty law and associated statutes and regulations, particularly as they relate to income maintenance and housing.
- High level of organization, able to deal appropriately with deadlines and unpredictable priority changes.
- Strong ability to handle multiple priorities in a high volume environment and a self‑starter.
- Collaborative work approach and the ability to work well in a team based environment.
- Computer skills to communicate, conduct research, input data, complete documents, write business letters.
- A driver’s license and access to a vehicle for travel to meetings with clients and stakeholders.
- Experience providing direct client service for Mississauga or Peel residents is preferred.
- Certification in crisis intervention, ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training), and/or Mental Health First Aid an asset.
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
The candidate’s salary and benefits will be commensurate with their level of experience.
MCLS is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and we welcome applicants from people who are reflective of our diverse community. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and 2 letters of reference to be received no later than Friday January 31, 2020 either by email to email@example.com or by fax (905‑273‑4255), courier, or mail addressed to:
Re: Social Worker Position 2019
Mississauga Community Legal Services
130 Dundas St. E, Suite 504
Mississauga, Ontario L5A 3V8
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.