Minimum experience requirements for refugee law
LAO’s standards for refugee lawyers include:
Minimum experience requirements for refugee and immigration general services
For lawyers conducting first instance Refugee Protection Division (RPD) and immigration work.
Minimum experience requirements for refugee and immigration appellate services
For lawyers who litigate at the Refugee Appeal Division and Federal Court.
How to request authorization to provide refugee legal aid services
Interested refugee lawyers should download the refugee and immigration standards form and apply.
Lawyers who have been called to the bar in the last 2 years and who apply to provide refugee legal aid services should enclose the following with their completed application:
- a statement giving details of your background in refugee law, including:
- your experience providing refugee and/or immigration legal services
- mentoring received or shadowing undertaken
- courses or training taken
- volunteering or community experience
- any other relevant experience
- copy of your résumé or CV
- any other information which will assist LAO to understand your suitability to provide refugee legal aid services
- general LAO Application form
- Direct Deposit Authorization for Business Accounts form
Minimum experience reuirements for immigration and refugee law 1. Law Society Member In Good Standing Lawyers providing Refugee and Immigration: General legal aid services must be licensees in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario. 2. Demonstrated competence in…
Minimum experience requirements 1. Law Society Member In Good Standing Lawyers authorized to provide Refugee and Immigration: Appellate legal aid services panel must be licensees in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario. 2. Demonstrated competence in appellate level…