Showing 1 - 7 of 7 results

Where can I speak to a lawyer about my rights?

Last updated August 21, 2019

If you need legal help on the day you are in criminal or family court, you can talk to our lawyers (they are called duty counsel) at the courthouse. If you have been arrested or are detained by police, tell the police officer you want to speak to a lawyer. The police officer will…

What kind of help can I get if I’m in an abusive relationship?

Last updated August 27, 2019

If you need urgent legal advice about a family issue or an immigration/refugee issue, call us right away or ask someone at a shelter or legal clinic about our two hours of free legal advice. You may also qualify to have a lawyer represent you in court.

I am being deported. Can I get legal aid help?

Last updated August 29, 2019

If you financially qualify for legal aid, we will pay for a lawyer. This lawyer has to be somebody who accepts legal aid work (not all lawyers do legal aid work). You can search our Find a Lawyer tool to help you find a lawyer. Call us to see if you qualify.

Children’s Aid contacted me. Can I get legal aid help?

Last updated April 4, 2019

If you financially qualify, then we can help you if you: want to see your children. want your children at home with you (you should call us as soon as you are contacted by Children’s Aid). are a family member or a member of the child’s Indigenous community and you…

I have a family court matter. Can I get legal aid help?

Last updated November 4, 2019

We might be able to help if you financially qualify and if: you are subjected to domestic abuse you want to separate from your husband, wife or partner you need to decide custody, support or access Children’s Aid has your children or contacted you

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 results