Legal Aid Ontario's Lawyer Services & Payments Department (LSP) is happy to bring you this monthly Better Billing Bulletin. It's meant to provide you and your staff with information regarding tariff and billing practices. We hope you'll find it useful.
Dockets (Detailed Accounts)
Although the Tariff and Billing Handbook requires that dockets be typed, in order to support lawyers in this transition LAO will accept ‘legible’ handwritten dockets attached to Online accounts until March 31, 2011.
Attaching Online – Document Types
Please attach only documents, including dockets, saved in the following formats: DOC, DOT, JPG, PDF, PPT, RTF, TIF, TXT, XLS, DOCX, BMP, DAT, EFX, EML, GIF, HPD, HTM, LWP, WK4, WKS, WDP, XML, ZIP. You should encounter no difficulties attaching these types of documents and they are easily opened by LAO staff.
If you are having difficulties attaching your dockets to Legal Aid Online, please:
- Ensure your document is not infected with a virus by updating and running virus protection software regularly
- Check to see if the document is in one of the formats listed above
- If you are using case management/accounting software such as PC Law and you’re unable to attach a document generated by PC Law in PDF form, please save your document, download PDF creator, print and save to standard PDF and attach the standard PDF document to your account.
- If you are trying to attach a document with macros please visit the following link attaching forms Online. Any forms with macros (built in formulas that automatically perform certain functions such as adding and subtracting) should be saved in Rich Text File (RTF) or printed to PDF and saved in PDF before being attached to your Online account.
If you are still unable to attach your document, please contact the Lawyer Service Centre for assistance at (416) 979-9934 or 1-866-979-9934.
There is a new icon, LAOiFax, available on your Online billing Solicitor Home Page. LAOiFax allows you to create a fax cover sheet for submissions to Legal Aid Ontario and enables us to process your requests related to disbursements and reviews quicker. Please review Better Billing Bulletin Vol 34.
FORMS - Please Use Them!
Please use our forms. The forms are meant to make life easier for you and for us by
- Identifying exactly what information LAO requires to process requests
- Reducing the time you spend letter writing
- Reducing the number of calls and faxes from LAO staff seeking information
- Eliminating misplaced and misfiled correspondence by clearly identifying the nature of your request
At this time, forms exist for the following transactions:
Discretion & Reviews
If you have questions about the forms, please contact the Lawyer Service Centre at (416) 979-9934 or 1-866-979-9934
Please let us know if you have questions or if there are topics you'd like to see us cover by contacting the