Legal Aid Ontario's Lawyer Services & Payments Department (LSP) is happy to bring you this monthly Better Billing Bulletin. It's meant to provide you and your staff with information regarding tariff and billing practices. We hope you'll find it useful.
It is the time of year when many lawyers begin approaching their hardcap. Please review our HardCap Policy Framework and remember the following:
- Your hardcap equals 2350 hours paid
- You will be notified by LAO when you achieve 75% and 90% of hardcap
- You must remain within your hardcap. Contact us if you have questions regarding your status. (416) 979-9934 or 1-866-979-9934
- You must request an exemption from the President to exceed your hardcap.
- You will not be paid for hours that exceed hardcap if you do not have a hardcap exemption
- You may have hours recovered by LAO if you exceed your hardcap without an exemption.
Expert Rates – Psychiatrists
Historically, LAO raises its rates for psychiatrists to correspond with OHIP rates for individual psycho therapy. Given a recent change in the OHIP rate, LAO will raise its rates for psychiatrists to $142 per hour effective January 1, 2010.
LAO continues to examine the rates of other experts to determine appropriate rate increases.
Please do not include GST when entering your accounts Online; our system automatically calculates and pays GST on all fees and disbursements.
Please enter only one e-mail address on your Legal Aid Online contact information page. Entering more than one e-mail address will disable the function – the system will not be able to send you e-mail notifications.
Tariff & Billing Handbook
Consult our Handbook regularly for billing information.
Please let us know if you have questions or if there are topics you'd like to see us cover by contacting the