Information for criminal lawyers on Legal Aid Ontario panels or working on legal aid cases.
Merit test for bail review guidelines
Certificates issued after July 7 will no longer be automatically approved for a bail review. Certificates issued before July 7, where authorization has been given, will not be affected. If the authorization is added on an existing certificate after July 7, then the new merit rules and rates apply.
Private retainer for bail practice memo
In response to LAO's decision to remove bail hearing, bail variation and second bail hearing from authorizations on Block Fee Certificates, a question has arisen as to whether you may charge a client a private retainer for bail prior to acknowledging a legal aid certificate. LAO has been asked whether we can provide some additional guidance on how issues of eligibility or set off may be applied in the event that you have been privately retained for bail.
Accounts and billing
- All you need to bill us for services.
- Plea comprehension inquiry form facilitates informed guilty pleas and protects both LAO clients and lawyers. Visit the news section of the LAO website for more information.
- Lawyer inmate request for legal aid service. Application form for the Toronto South Detention Centre project.
- For all other forms, visit our forms library.
- A roadmap for certificate and duty counsel lawyers. All you need to know to do legal aid work.
- Criminal law panel standards. What you need to be admitted to and remain on the criminal panel.
Projects and programs
- Case management for complex criminal cases likely to cost more than $8 K.
- Bail Strategy, our commitment to making bail faster and fairer.